Friday, June 4, 2010

"Bird Empress"

This painting was an experimental one. I didn't have an image in mind because I started it to show a fellow artist how you can get watercolor effects with acrylic paint. I brushed on different colors of paint thinned with water and Golden's Acrylic Glazing Liquid, just letting it flow and blend on the canvas. My fellow artist quickly got the point, so I set the painting aside for later.

A few days later I came back to it to see what I could do to finish it. I kept some of the watercolor-ish effects, but then started into a completely different direction. As I looked at the shapes, I saw something birdlike on the left and decided to emphasize that idea. I also decided to add mixed-media elements to it to make it more textural. I sprinkled glass beads of different colors in various places, then poured a heavy coating of glossy acrylic medium onto the canvas. I then laid down pieces of flat cut glass and some colored rhinestones for the eyes and for the tops of the head-feathers. I overdid the glossy medium a bit, so it kept oozing off the sides of the canvas. I had to scrape it off as it flowed until it finally set up enough to stay where it was. The rhinestones floated around during that part of the process, so I had to keep moving them back to their positions using tweezers. Even with that bit of difficulty, the piece turned out nicely. The layer of glossy medium is thick and looks glasslike. It's a very unique piece.

"Bird Empress" - 6" x 6" acrylic on canvas with glass, beads, and rhinestones. $100.

No comments:

Post a Comment