Saturday, May 29, 2010

"Shy Tulips"

This watercolor painting was painted on Ampersand Gessoboard. Working with this hard, non-absorbent surface was quite different from working on watercolor paper. I wasn't happy with the way it turned out because I found that I was putting on more paint than I usually do for a watercolor piece. It ended up looking too heavy, so I started washing off a lot of the color. All of a sudden, a new painting emerged, one that was soft and very different from my usual style. I set it aside for awhile to think about it and to decide if I would do more work on it. The more I looked at it, the better I liked it the way it was, so I left it alone. I am happy with the result.

2 comments:

  1. It is soft and has an abstract quality but still grounded - have you ever tried clayboard? I love your sense of adventure with your experimentation, I like reading about the process and seeing the end result with this post and the newest one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment. I have some clayboard, but haven't really worked with it yet. I seem to like canvas right now, especially because I paint around the edges and therefore don't have to frame canvas paintings, but I'm always experimenting.

    ReplyDelete